Group Ferry Bookings to Calais
Taking the ferry to Calais is the perfect way to start your group holiday to Europe. Rather than spending your journey packed into a cramped coach or short-haul plane, start enjoying your trip early aboard a spacious DFDS Seaways ferry. Stretch your legs on the deck, enjoy a hearty meal in one of our onboard restaurants or pick up some great value gifts from our shops.
Group crossings with DFDS Seaways
Travelling as a group with DFDS Seaways couldn’t be easier. Our Dover-Calais ferries run ten times a day, 7 days a week. You can bring your car, van or even a minibus on board to make travelling in Europe flexible and convenient. The journey takes approximately 90 minutes, with travellers asked to check in at least 45 minutes before departure.
Travel Tip: Anyone who’s been on holiday with a large group before will be familiar with the stress of getting everyone to the departure spot on time and potentially missing your plane, train or ferry if a member of your party is late. If you have many people with conflicting schedules meeting up for your holiday, why not take advantage of our quick, regular journeys through the day to meet at a mutually agreed location in Calais rather than facing the stress of trying to co-ordinate your travel plans?
If you’re planning a coach trip into Europe, DFDS Seaways offers excellent rates and a fantastic experience for drivers and passengers. We have a dedicated commercial drivers lounge including a restaurant, complimentary tea and coffee and shower facilities to ensure you’re fully refreshed for the next leg of your journey. Take a look at our coach travel pages for more information on this service.
While on board our ferries, you can leave your vehicle and enjoy a comfortable and relaxing journey. If you’re travelling with small children, you can keep them entertained in our special play area while you and the rest of the adults enjoy a slap-up meal or a relaxing drink at the bar. Our affordable shops feature a range of great-value products including cosmetics and skincare, newspapers and magazines, maps, toiletries, driving equipment, sweets and soft drinks and a wide selection of beers, wines and spirits.
Places to visit near Calais
The city of Calais contains numerous attractions to suit all kinds of group holidays, from its gorgeous beaches to a vibrant nightlife. You can find a full guide to the many attractions of this historic holiday port in our Calais Travel Guide. From Calais, you’re also perfectly situated to travel to a number of popular holiday destinations across Europe, from bustling cities to idyllic countryside retreats:
• Paris – One of the world’s most popular holiday destinations, the French capital has strong rail links with Calais. A direct line train can get you there in just over 90 minutes, or you can drive in around 3 hours.
• Rouen – A beautiful historical city perfect for a more relaxed weekend break with plenty of sightseeing opportunities, Rouen is around 2 hours drive from Calais.
• Lille – For a livelier city break in France, the city of Lille offers a wealth of entertainment, from restaurants and bars to dance clubs and cabaret venues.
• St Omer – If you want to really immerse yourself in the French culture, consider a visit to the market commune of St Omer. Situated less than 30 miles southeast of Calais, this beautiful town features a mix of stunning historical architecture and glorious natural landscapes.
Calais is also a great jumping-off point to travel into Belgium, where you can enjoy an alternative holiday experience in one of these popular holiday destinations
• Brussels – An increasingly trendy getaway spot for weekend breaks and group holidays, Brussels is famous for two popular exports – beer and chocolate! It’s also a centre of European culture, with numerous museums and galleries in addition to beautiful parks, mouth-watering restaurants and stylish bars.
• Bruges – A charming and welcoming city with a rich history and a bustling pedestrianized centre. It’s a popular romantic getaway, but also has a lively nightlife for groups.
• Ghent – Fast developing a reputation as a must-visit location for stag and hen holidays, Ghent combines stunning old-world views with over 300 bars and clubs, making it the undisputed party capital of Belgium!
• Antwerp – A charming medieval town that offers plenty to see and do for all ages. Explore the art and architecture of Rubens House and The Cathedral of Our Lady, or get up-close and personal with rare and exotic animals from around the world at one of Europe’s oldest and best-known zoos.
DFDS Seaways also runs a daily ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, a conveniently located port town just a few miles from the Belgian border. Alternatively, you can travel to France with us with ferries from Portsmouth to Le Havre, or from Newhaven to Dieppe.