First World War Centenary
The year 2014 marks 100 years since the beginning of the First World War, an event which changed the face of Europe, and the rest of the world, forever.
In memory of this, we are providing a number of guided packaged tours to famous historical sites and cemeteries across Flanders and The Somme, sailing from Newcastle.
If you live in southern England, our crossings from Dover to Calais and Dunkirk make it easy for you to take your own car and head to to France and Belgium.
If you are interested in joining in the centenary commemorations, there are a number of remembrance events taking place across Europe in 2014 and 2015. You can easily incorporate a visit to some of the key historical sites into your itinerary at any time due to their close proximity to our ports on the continent.
Most of the key moments in the First World War took place in battlefields across Belgium and France, meaning that they are easily accessible with our routes to Europe. Our ports in Amsterdam, Dieppe, Le Havre, Dunkirk and Calais have excellent transport links to a number of cities and sites in Belgium and France.
Our crossings are comfortable and convenient and allow you to pack as much as you like into your car, with no luggage restrictions.
For details on our packaged Battlefields breaks , visit our Battlefields page.
See below for a list of some of the main events due to take place over the centenary, as well as information on the nearest DFDS Seaways ports.
Centenary events by country
(Nearest ports: Dunkirk 101 miles, Amsterdam 112 miles, Calais 126 miles, Dieppe 230 miles, Le Havre 272 miles)
- Present to 3 October 2014 – Educational Experience Trail For Children, Antwerp.
(Nearest ports: Dunkirk 95 miles, Calais 122 miles, Amsterdam 139 miles, Dieppe 208 miles, Le Havre 249 miles)
- 7 February 2014 to 26 April 2015 – Major Exhibition ’14-18 It’s Our History’, Royal Army Museum, Jubelpark 3, Brussels.
- 1 October 2014 to 31 December 2014 – Avant Garde and the Great War Exhibition, Brussels.
- 9 November 2014 – 1,000 Voices Oratorio For Peace Concerts, Flanders Festival, Brussels.
(Nearest ports: Dunkirk 51 miles, Calais 77 miles, Amsterdam 170 miles, Dieppe 191 miles, Le Havre 244 miles)
- 28 June 2014 to 11 November 2014 - 'Blankenberge and Uitkerke under occupation: 1914-1918' Exhibition, Blankenberge.
(Nearest ports: Dunkirk 86 miles, Calais 112 miles, Amsterdam 136 miles, Dieppe 216 miles, Le Havre 257 miles)
- 17 August 2014 to 15th December 2014 – Dendermonde in Ruins Exhibition, Dendermonde.
(Nearest ports: Dunkirk 32 miles, Calais 57 miles, Dieppe 172 miles, Amsterdam 193 miles, Le Havre 228 miles)
- 4 July 2014 – Carillon Bell Ringing Festival, Ypres.
- 25 - 26 October – Double Ceremony and Concerts to mark the first battle of Ypres, Zonnebeke
- 10 November 2014 – Remembrance Ceremony Battle of Passchendaele, Zonnebeke.
- 11 November 2014 – Great War remembered Concert, Ypres.
- 22 April 2015 – Centennial Commemoration of the First Gas Attack, Ypres.
- 24 August 2015 to 15 December 2015 – Exhibition ‘Communications during the First World War’, Memorial Museum, Passchendaele.
(Nearest ports: Dieppe 93 miles, Calais 96 miles, Dunkirk 100 miles, Le Havre 135 miles, Amsterdam 242 miles)
- 1 July 2014 – Remembrance Ceremony, Lochnagar Crater.
(Nearest ports: Calais 95 miles, Dieppe 97 miles, Dunkirk 100 miles, Le Havre 139 miles, Amsterdam 241 miles)
- 1 July 2014 – Somme Remembrance Ceremony, Thiepval.
- 11 November 2014 – Memorial Parade to the Missing, Thiepval.
(Nearest ports: Calais 243 miles, Dunkirk 247 miles, Dieppe 249 miles, Amsterdam 291 miles, Le Havre 291 miles)
- 20 - 26 July 2014 – ‘From the Flames to the Light’ Show, Verdun.